Picture on the left taken by

Feelings About the Mission Trip


No comments


I was not even supposed to go on this youth mission trip. I was not even asked to go on the trip.
It was funny, not really funny more of a sign from God...literally. Here is the story....

I had told Dan about 2 weeks before the mention of this trip that I needed a little vacation away with some girlfriends of just by myself for a week or so. He said that was fine...I just didn't have any clue where I was going to go or what I was going to do. 

It was the week of VBS and one of the youth Sunday school teachers (and advisors on the trip) had mentioned to Dan and I that they needed one more woman advisor.... there was one already, but she would be in charge of 13 (they thought at the time) girls by herself. Dan looked at me and said there is your chance, there is your vacation that you wanted. I was just in shock. It was going to be 7 days, 6 nights. I told him that I would think about it. The hubby and I went home that night to discuss the pros and cons. After talking with him, I still wasn't convinced on going. I called my best friend and told her about it and asked for her advice. Dan helped me understand some of the pros about going, but he's my husband so he has to tell me things that I want to hear, where my best friend will be honest with me and tell me things that I need to hear. She opened my eyes and heart a little more, so I decided to go, the next day at VBS I told them I would go. 

I was so nervous the days leading up to "leaving" day. I was scared of leaving my kids for that many days. I would be there all by myself (no husband or kids). I would be with teenagers that I barely knew. I would be with adults that I barely knew (other than Church). I was wondering if I would get along with them all because I am so shy. I didn't know if I would even have any fun being with teenagers, kids that are almost 20 years younger than me (wow! that sounds weird to say). I really didn't know what to expect (I am a planner, I have to have every thing planned). I was wondering if I would have any of my coughing attacks at night ( asthma attacks). I was afraid I would get my migraines. 

I knew Dan was taking good care of the kids and they were happy, so I knew they were in good hands, I just missed them terribly! Knowing that I wouldn't be tucking them into bed those nights, reading to them, brushing their teeth or just being around them just broke my heart. I missed the hubby too, but I knew he was going to be okay. I got along with the teenagers great! I actually felt young again when I was around some of them. A couple of the teenagers and I had inside jokes that we would laugh about. I wasn't as shy as I thought I would be. I was just being myself and I think that's what made it so fun for me. I really clicked with the other woman advisor (we know each other from Church, but never really talked outside of Church) and I can say she is now a really good friend ;). I found out that it is not so bad to "fly by the seat of your pants" so to speak. I didn't have any attacks and I didn't have any migraine problems. 

I really didn't know what to expect going to Joplin. I knew that we were going to help with clean up from the tornado. I just didn't know what we would be doing. Nobody really knew what to expect. The first 2 days we watered trees. The third day we cleaned up a property and the fourth day we did surveys. I think the surveys were the most fun for the youth because they got to hear some of the victim's stories and get to see and hear about some of the damages. Oh, ya I forgot to mention, we had a fun day and went to Silver Dollar City one day! 

We had a lot of fun! Even when we were doing the hardest work of all, probably cleaning up the property (for me, anyway) we all seemed to have smiles on our faces, laughing, joking, talking, working together. I was so proud of the youth! They didn't complain, when they did, they were usually hurt, which was understandable, and even then they didn't complain, they even wanted to work through the pain! Everyone worked together and helped each other no matter what the circumstances were. 

I say cleaning up the property was the hardest for me because you don't actually realize that a tornado hit there until you start finding some debris left from the home owners. I found a baby syringe (from a baby triaminic or tylenol), some other people found a baby girl's pink sock, some pants that were torn up, a sweater, even a toilet brush. I actually had tears in my eyes realizing that yes, someone actually did live there and you don't know if they survived or was one of the lucky ones that God saved. You just have to tell your self that you are there to help these people and hope what you and others do will make it easier on them to move on from this horrific accident. 

This was my first mission trip and after this mission trip, I plan on going on a lot more! It was so much fun. I know all of us advisors are fun ;), but it was really the kids who made it worth while! I will always remember our WAM nights (Walmart at Midnight) when we got yelled at 2 nights in a row by the grumpy old night guy. Another advisor and myself almost getting yelled at for throwing a ball back and fourth in Walmart. The "Leland Pose"....which I wasn't outside to see, but it was a funny story. Now the youth try to do it every picture opportunity. 

It's really hard to "make friends" with kids who are almost 15 years younger than you, but if feels good and you know you have made an impact on the kids when you get a text the night you get home from the mission trip that says, " I miss you already and so does Apoop." (that's her India name ;) ) from my lovely queens of India ;) The other woman advisor and I have been texting back and fourth too ever since ;) 

I miss all of you youth and advisors...even though one of the youth boys thought I was one of the youth when we picked him up ;) I got asked several times if I was on of the youth (from the diner lady, walmart lady, youth boy) and I'm sure it went through people's minds, so I guess it's okay to look young sometimes ;) 

Leave a Reply